Our allies at the New York Immigration Coalition are seeking an experienced and adept community organizer for the position of Manager of Member Engagement. Please share this listing with those who may qualify to help strengthen the increasingly necessary work of immigration advocacy here on Long Island.
Location: Position is based on Long Island and will require regular travel in both Nassau and Suffolk Counties and to New York City, as well as periodic travel to other regions within New York State.
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Summary of the Position
The Manager of Member Engagement, Long Island will work closely with the NYIC Advocacy Team to represent the NYIC on Long Island. The Manager will work closely with NYIC member organizations to grow the NYIC’s presence in the region; deepen the engagement of NYIC members and partners in NYIC initiatives; expand the network of NYIC members and partners; and build the political power of immigrant communities, the organizations who serve them, and the NYIC. The Manager will convene and mobilize member and partner organizations, lead NYIC advocacy efforts on Long Island, and serve as a link to key resources for member agencies.
- Leads effort in engaging NYIC member organizations on Long Island to play a leadership role in effective advocacy and organizing around campaigns. Leads engagement with NYIC member organizations in local convenings
- Develops and strengthens relationships with NYIC member organizations, other immigrant-led and immigrant-serving organizations, and non-traditional partners and allies across Nassau and Suffolk Counties
- Regularly convenes members and partners to discuss issues facing immigrant communities and plan strategies for collective action in the region and the State
- Coordinate and mobilize member agencies and coalition partners around local, state, and federal advocacy campaigns, as well as rapid response work as necessary
- Plan and organize events including rallies, actions, convenings, trainings, and community forums
- Forge relationships with policy makers across Long Island, including elected and other key government officials, and serve as the NYIC expert on the LI landscape
- Build and maintain relationships with media covering the region, including local, ethnic, and mainstream outlets, and utilize traditional and digital media to promote advocacy goals, in consultation with NYIC communications team.
- Serve as spokesperson for the NYIC in the region, including in the media and through public speaking and regular meetings with community leaders, policy makers, and thought leaders
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience preferred, ideally with an based organization based on Long Island
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice, immigrant justice, and Long Island’s diverse immigrant communities
- Experience collaborating with multiple, diverse partners
- Experience with community organizing and/or policy advocacy is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, and comfort with public speaking and meeting facilitation
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple projects and deadlines
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language spoken in immigrant communities on Long Island is strongly preferred
- Drivers license and access to a reliable vehicle is required
- Good team player, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and one brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emails must have “Manager of Member Engagement, Long Island” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.