Since the election of President Trump, there has been an increase in hate crimes and hate incidents. As such, it is important to be aware of what is happening in our communities to our new American neighbors. This is a new feature that we will be publishing every month, in order to track hate crimes in our community as well as to document this moment in history and inform the community. In the month of January, there were fourteen hate crimes reported in New York State. Here are the crimes which occurred in the metropolitan area:
- 1/1/17 – Two Menorahs were broken and defaced in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn.
- 1/1/17 – A transgender person was attacked and received multiple stab wounds in Huntington.
- 1/1/17- Long Island Expressway overpass spray-painted with TRUMP LIES replacing the “M” in Trump with a swastika in Holtsville.
- 1/2/16 – Long Island Expressway overpass spray-painted with TRUMP LIES replacing the “M” in Trump with a swastika in Ronkonkoma.
- 1/3/17 – Black swastikas spray-painted on a wall near the shuffleboard court and on a picnic table bench at Brady Park in Massapequa.
- 1/11/17 – Two teens beat a Hispanic man at 611 Van Siclen Ave, East New York, Brooklyn.
- 1/13/17 – Man shouts racial slurs at and threatens a Nigerian Catholic priest with a baseball bat by the Good Shepherd Roman Catholic Church, in Brooklyn.
- 1/18/17 – Long Island Expressway overpass spray-painted with TRUMP LIES replacing the “M” in Trump with a swastika in Medford.
- 1/22/17 – An Asian male was physically grabbed by his shirt and told he doesn’t belong in this country, with an Asian slur also used in Centereach.
- 1/26/17 – Muslim Delta worker verbally assaulted and physically attacked by a man at JFK Airport.
- 1/29/17 – A swastika found drawn on the sidewalk by Matthew D. Lynch Field in Jericho.
These are only the bias incidents and hate crimes reported, although there are likely many that go unreported. Nationally, there were over 80 hate crimes reported and covered by the media.