Temporary Protected Status for El Salvador was extended 18 additional months


The Department of Homeland Security has extended Temporary Protected Status (TPS) from eligible nationals of El Salvador for an additional 18 months, effective September 10, 2016 through March 9, 2018.

Salvadorans who currently have TPS may apply for renewal between now and September 6, 2016.

The 18-month extension allows TPS re-registrants to apply for a new Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Those who re-register before September 6, and request a new EAD will receive one with an expiration date of March 9, 2018

In addition, current employment authorization cards held by Salvadorans with TPS that are set to expire in September are automatically extended until March 9, 2017. This will allow Salvadorans to file their renewals and await their new permits without having to worry about losing their jobs.

There are an estimated 10,000 Salvadorans living on Long Island who are eligible for this renewal program. Nationally, an estimated 200,000 people are expected to apply.

It is extremely urgent that people with TPS renew as soon as possible.

For help, call CARECEN at (516) 489-8330 or (631) 273-8759, or Catholic Charities at (631) 789-5210.

What you should know

To re-register, current TPS beneficiaries must submit:

Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status (re-registrants do not need to pay the Form I-821 application fee).
Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, regardless of whether they want an EAD.
– The Form I-765 application fee (or a fee waiver request) only if they want an EAD. If the re-registrant does not want an EAD, no application fee is required.
– The biometric services fee (or a fee waiver request) if they are 14 years old or older.

Find more information HERE.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/customer/www/longislandwins.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/Newspaper/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 326