One of the worst attacks in this summer of hatred directed against immigrants was the assault by two brothers in Boston on a sleeping Latino man. At least the two will not be getting out on bail. From Reuters:
Two Boston brothers charged with urinating on and beating a homeless Mexican man in an attack allegedly inspired by Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump’s views on immigrants agreed on Thursday to remain in custody until their trial in October.
The brothers, 38-year-old Scott Leader and 30-year-old Steve Leader, were arrested last month and charged with assault and battery for the purpose of intimidation because of national origin.
Through their attorneys, Gary McGillivray and John Flanagan, the pair agreed to waive a hearing that could have determined whether they would be released on bail ahead of trial.
The judge set an Oct. 1 trial date.
The men told police they targeted their 58-year-old victim, whose name has not been released, because they believed he was an illegal immigrant. According to a police report, they told officers, “Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported.”