Help end immigrant poverty! Apply to become Central American Refugee Center – New York’s (CARECEN-NY) NYIC Volunteer Management VISTA.
CARECEN-NY’s NYIC Volunteer Management VISTA is an AmeriCorps VISTA (paraprofessional) – sponsored through the New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC)—that will provide indirect service to immigrants living in poverty. Specifically, CARENCEN’s VISTA will work to develop and manage a volunteer team to facilitate/organize financial literacy workshops and service festivals for immigrants. The position is full-time and runs from September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2015.
- Recruit 20 volunteers through diverse outreach strategies;
- Train the recruited volunteers in preparing for their programmatic work;
- Manage the trained volunteers in facilitating 16 financial literacy workshops (e.g., schedule workshops; assigning workshops to volunteers to facilitate; collect and compile data from the evaluation forms from workshop participants);
- Manage the trained team in organizing 8 immigrant service festivals (e.g., manage the volunteers in identifying and securing sites and service providers; developing and carrying out a promotional campaign; supporting the management of the events)
- Plan a recognition/celebration event for the volunteers;
- Develop and implement an evaluation system for the volunteers;
- Develop resources and training to prepare other staff to take over the volunteer management system, after the year of service concludes;
- Develop resources and training to prepare other staff in planning the service festivals for immigrants.
English and Spanish required.
Living allowance; health insurance; option of end-of-year service stipend or education award; AmeriCorps VISTA orientation, provided by the Corporation for National and Community Service (August 26-29, 2014); NYIC VISTA 5-day training (September 2-6, 2014); Monthly NYIC VISTA professional development/networking webinars; Monthly check-ins with NYIC staff; Ongoing networking opportunities with other NYIC VISTAs.
Applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP, as interviews will begin to be scheduled during this month. A full list of NYIC VISTA positions can be found here.