Help end immigrant poverty! Apply to become Central American Refugee Center – New York’s (CARECEN-NY) NYIC Volunteer Management VISTA.
CARECEN-NY’s NYIC Volunteer Management VISTA is an AmeriCorps VISTA (paraprofessional) – sponsored through the New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC)—that will provide indirect service to immigrants living in poverty. Specifically, CARENCEN’s VISTA will work to develop and manage a volunteer team to facilitate/organize financial literacy workshops and service festivals for immigrants. The position is full-time and runs from September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2015.
- Recruit 20 volunteers through diverse outreach strategies;
- Train the recruited volunteers in preparing for their programmatic work;
- Manage the trained volunteers in facilitating 16 financial literacy workshops (e.g., schedule workshops; assigning workshops to volunteers to facilitate; collect and compile data from the evaluation forms from workshop participants);
- Manage the trained team in organizing 8 immigrant service festivals (e.g., manage the volunteers in identifying and securing sites and service providers; developing and carrying out a promotional campaign; supporting the management of the events)
- Plan a recognition/celebration event for the volunteers;
- Develop and implement an evaluation system for the volunteers;
- Develop resources and training to prepare other staff to take over the volunteer management system, after the year of service concludes;
- Develop resources and training to prepare other staff in planning the service festivals for immigrants.
English and Spanish required.
Living allowance; health insurance; option of end-of-year service stipend or education award; AmeriCorps VISTA orientation, provided by the Corporation for National and Community Service (August 26-29, 2014); NYIC VISTA 5-day training (September 2-6, 2014); Monthly NYIC VISTA professional development/networking webinars; Monthly check-ins with NYIC staff; Ongoing networking opportunities with other NYIC VISTAs.
How to Apply
1. Create an account here and log in
2. Visit the position listing here and click on “Apply Now”
Applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP, as interviews will begin to be scheduled during this month. A full list of NYIC VISTA positions can be found here.