Make the Road New York (MRNY) is looking for a Long Island Organizer (40 hours/week). This is a temporary position available through the end of 2014, with the possibility of extension. The position will be primarily based in Elmont, in Nassau County.
The Long Island Organizer (40 hours/week) will work with our Long Island Organizing Director and our Canvass team to create a base of Latin@ leaders in the area of Elmont and help advance local and county-wide campaigns. The organizer will conduct outreach in the community to build an organizing committee, helping to identify key issues that Elmont residents care about and recruiting local residents to become members of MRNY. S/he will also create a system to follow up the contacts from an ongoing door-to-door canvass acquire. The organizer will be focused on helping build MRNY’s initial base in Nassau County and will help recruit members into our active campaigns focusing on housing, immigration reform, and worker rights. Travel to and from our Brentwood and Queens offices is expected on a regular basis.
· Lead regular outreach in high traffic areas in Elmont (parks, public transportation stations, malls etc)
· Recruit 12 new members every month
· Mobilize members to events and rallies as per need basis, specifically around Housing Rights, Voter Power, Comprehensive Immigration Reform, and Workers Rights.
· Follow up within 48 hours with contacts made by Long Island canvassers
· Lead meetings and workshops in Nassau County
· Work with LI Lead Organizer to achieve recruitment, mobilization and campaign goals
· Provide support and mobilize for MRNY wide mobilizations and/or events
· Work to support leadership development of members.
· Must have a car
· Candidates with experience in immigrant issues are highly encouraged to apply
· College Education or equivalent life and/or organizing experienced required
· Demonstrated ability to do outreach and convey mission of the organization
· Able to lead educational sessions and workshops
· Able to mobilize members to different events, marches, press conferences, etc.
· Bilingual English and Spanish necessary
· Computer literacy, with ability to use Microsoft Office suite and Google Documents.
Basic information about the position:
· Dates: March-December 2014
· 40 hours per week
· Supervised by Long Island Organizing Director
Salary: Starting salary is based on a salary scale set by a democratically-elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education.
How to Apply:
Forward a cover letter and resume by email at LIOrganizer2014@maketheroadny.org Attach cover letter/resume AND include both in the body of the email. Applications will be accepted until Friday March 28, 2014.
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or marital status