For anyone interested in on-the-ground civic education and engagement, there is a job opening with the Long Island Civic Engagement Table.
See the info below:
Coordinator, Long Island Civic Engagement Table
The Long Island Civic Engagement Table is a new project led by a coalition of Long Island-based community organizations working to transform the culture of civic participation and government accountability in Long Island by increasing electoral participation of disenfranchised communities, nurturing grassroots leadership in communities of color, and engaging Long Island residents in community organizing campaigns to advance social and economic justice issues.
The Long Island Civic Engagement Table will initially focus its efforts in Suffolk County, and assist partner organizations in developing and implementing a high-volume non-partisan voter contact and community organizing program involving phone banking, door-to-door canvassing, Get Out the Vote efforts, and issue education; new voter registration; naturalization and citizenship education, leadership development trainings, legal training; and youth organizing.
The Coordinator is responsible for managing and staffing all day-to-day operations of the Table, assisting the governance board in developing and implementing a strategic plan, providing strategic support and technical assistance to organizations, and ensuring effective collaboration and management of resources to advance the project’s goals. The Coordinator will be based out of Make the Road New York, and will work from MRNY’s offices in Islip, Long Island.
1. Program Development and Implementation
a. Assist governance board in developing and implementing strategic plan to increase civic participation in working class communities across Suffolk County
b. Convene and staff regular meetings of governance board, advisory board, and project partner organizations
c. Assist partner organizations in the development of civic engagement/community organizing plans that tie into the county-wide plan, and assist groups in implementing their plans as needed
d. Develop and coordinate trainings, technical assistance, and information sharing to strengthen civic engagement work by partner organizations
e. Coordinate the provision of mapping, list-matching, leadership trainings, and other services for partner organizations
f. Coordinate development of program materials with approval from governance board
g. Act as a fair broker of information and resources for groups that are members of the table
2. Fundraising: Assist governance board in creating and executing fundraising plans to increase resources
a. Expand the network of partner organizations that participate in trainings, voter contact efforts, and other civic engagement activities of the project
b. Manage external relations with allies and other local institutions
4. Manage and staff all day-to-day operations of the Long Island Civic Engagement Table
· 5+ years of organizing and/or electoral experience including issue campaigns, community organizing, civic engagement projects, voter registration drives
· Familiarity with Suffolk County culture, politics, and organizational landscape
· Experience building multi-racial alliances, collaborations, and coalitions that deliver results
· Accountability to group decision making process while valuing input and roles of each organization
· Ability to access and pose strategic questions and scenario options for action to governance committee
· Experience managing conflict and resolving toward super majority decisions
· Track record of successful staff and volunteer training and supervision
· Fundraising experience a plus
Location: Islip, Long Island.
Compensation: Salary 45-65k depending on experience, plus benefits.
How to Apply:
Please write “Coordinator, Long Island Civic Engagement Table” in subject of e-mail, attach résumé and cover letter, and address to Ana Maria Archila email@example.com.
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer. Women, LGBTQ, and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.
Image courtesy of Thewmatt via Flickr.