Work to build power with immigrant and working-class communities across Long Island, and lead our coalition organizing in Suffolk County.
The Long Island Civic Engagement Table (LICET) builds power and government accountability with Long Island immigrants and working class communities of color through leadership development, grassroots organizing, and electoral mobilization. LICET is led by Make the Road NY (MRNY), New York Communities for Change, the Central American Refugee Center, and the Long Island Immigrant Alliance. MRNY is the fiscal sponsor of LICET.
We are seeking a passionate and energetic full-time organizer to lead our work in Suffolk County, based in our Brentwood office.
- Work closely with institutional partners – both advocacy and service organizations – on civic engagement initiatives, including voter registration and Get Out the Vote;
- Lead outreach, agitation, strategic planning, and coalition logistics on issue-based campaigns with our partners;
- Identify and develop key community leaders and potential allies;
- Organize and facilitate meetings with stakeholders;
- Mobilize community members and allies for activities and events;
- Develop curricula and training materials for ongoing leadership development and capacity-building projects;
- Help to maintain data and tracking systems for electoral work;
- Supervise and train interns on data entry, turnout, and outreach tasks;
- Support communications, including press contacts, email blasts, web posts, and social media;
- Play a supporting role in fundraising and grant-writing;
- Participate in regular team meetings at locations throughout Long Island, with periodic meetings in New York City;
- Minimum 2 years organizing experience (labor or community, or non-candidate electoral);
- Self-motivated and dedicated, with a proven ability to work independently and overcome obstacles;
- Experience working on Long Island;
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills;
- Commitment to the movement for social justice;
- Eager to learn alongside a dynamic and effective team;
- Open to working some evenings and weekends;
- Willing/able to travel throughout Long Island;
- Bilingual English-Spanish strongly preferred.
Competitive annual salary based on a democratically designed salary scale, depending on relevant work experience, education, and other factors. LICET and MRNY offer a generous benefit package including health insurance and 401K.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resumé, with “LICET Organizer” in the subject of an e-mail, to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until Wednesday, December 3.
LICET and MRNY are Equal Employment Opportunity employers and actively recruit people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.