Are You a Dreamer Getting Ready for Deferred Action? Get Your Passport


Are you young and undocumented? Are you wondering if you qualify for the new deferred action program announced by President Obama on Friday?

Over the next few weeks, I’ll be posting about what Dreamers can do now that the president has called on the government to halt deportations and grant work permits to qualified undocumented young people.

Although the registration period has not yet begun, now is the time to begin getting your documentation together to apply. The first document you’ll need is a passport. You can get this from your home country’s consulate. Because there will soon be a rush of Dreamers needing passports, the sooner you can get the process started the better. If you already have an unexpired passport, you don’t need to get a new one; otherwise, get to a consulate as soon as you can.

If you need to renew an expired passport, the process is fairly easy. However, if you have never had a passport before, you may need to get your birth certificate and other documentation to obtain one. Do not delay. Getting a new passport can take weeks or even months.

If you want more information on this important program, come to the workshop being offered by CARECEN on Tuesday, July 10, at 5pm (2000 Brentwood Road, Brentwood, second floor). Call 631-273-8721 for more information.

I’ll also be offering a workshop in CARECEN’s Hempstead office on Tuesday, July 16, at 5pm (91 N. Franklin Street, Suite 208, Hempstead, 516-489-8330).

For more posts in this series, click here.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/customer/www/ on line 326