On Thursday, Long Island Wins reported that some immigrant children are facing barriers to enrolling in LI schools. Nassau and Suffolk residents who feel they are victim to such action by their school district may find the following resources helpful.
“The Science of Residency Determination 2013” by the NYS Education Department
The Guardian/Custodian Affidavit
Instructions for making an appeal to the Commissioner of Education
In addition, these organizations can help with a variety of issues, including those related to school enrollment.
• Hispanic Brotherhood of Rockville Centre, Inc., 516-766-6610; www.hispanicbrotherhood.org
• Nassau County Chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union, 516-741-8520; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.nyclu.org/nassau
• Suffolk County Chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union, 631-650-2301; email@example.com; www.nyclu.org/suffolk
• Long Island Advocacy Center in New Hyde Park, Debbie McGowan, 516-248-2222, ext. 10; www.theliac.org
• Long Island Advocacy Center in Hauppauge, Jennica Nill, 631-234-0467, ext. 10; www.theliac.org
• Hempstead Community Action Program of the Economic Opportunity Commission of Nassau County, 516-486-2800, http://eoc-nassau.org/