DACA Expansion Feb. 18: Get Your Passport

The passport helps identify and gives the date of birth of applicants for work permits.

UPDATE FEB. 18, 2015: Immigrants who are eligible for administrative relief should still prepare their applications. The decision by a Texas court judge to temporarily delay the program is largely expected to be overturned in an appeals court.

With the DACA program expanding on February 18 to include undocumented immigrants who were in the U.S. by January 1, 2010 and who came to the U.S. before their sixteenth birthday, it is time for 2,000 Long Islanders to get ready to apply. Over the next week I will give you some pointers in how to get ready. I have already written about the importance of gathering your school records.

An important document you’ll need is a passport. You can get this from your home country’s consulate. Because there will soon be a rush of DACA applicants needing passports, the sooner you can get the process started the better. If you already have an unexpired passport, you don’t need to get a new one; otherwise, go to a consulate as soon as you can.

If you need to renew an expired passport, the process is fairly easy. However, if you have never had a passport before, you may need to get your birth certificate and other documentation to obtain one. Do not delay. Getting a new passport can take weeks. You might as well get started today.

One country maintains a consulate on Long Island. Salvadorans can go their consulate located at 151 Alkier Street, Brentwood, NY 11717 (631) 273-1355.

If you want more information on this important program, call CARECEN at 516-489-8330 in Hempstead or 631-273-8721 in Brentwood. You can also call Catholic Charities at 631-789-5210.

Dejar respuesta