Marchers Call for Mangano to Implement Language Access in Nassau

0
1680
Three dozen marched in Mineola for language access.
Three dozen marched in Mineola for language access.

Dozens of Long Islanders marched in Mineola today demanding that County Executive Ed Mangano keep his promise to implement language access. Mangano had promised two years ago to follow Suffolk’s lead in making county services accessible in six languages. So far, he has disappointed all expectations.

Jason Starr of the Nassau Civil Liberties Union told the marchers that they were assembled “to commemorate the second year of a bad anniversary,” the second full year without language access. Cheryl Keshner, of Empire Justice, said that since Mangano’s agreement to draft a language access policy, “we have met repeatedly with the County Executive’s office. All we have gotten is lies, lies and more lies.”

Keshner told the marchers that “county departments are discriminating against people every day in Nassau.” She warned that if Mangano did not act soon, language advocates would call for the United States Department of Justice to intervene.

mangano-1

Compartir
Artículo anteriorJoin the Language Access March on August 25
Artículo siguienteNewsday Publishes the Truth About Birthright Citizenship
Patrick Young blogs daily for Long Island Wins. He is the Downstate Advocacy Director of the New York Immigration Coalition and Special Professor of Immigration Law at Hofstra School of Law. He served as the Director of Legal Services and Program at Central American Refugee Center (CARECEN) for three decades before retiring in 2019. Pat is also a student of immigration history and the author of The Immigrants' Civil War.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/customer/www/longislandwins.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/Newspaper/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 326

Dejar respuesta